Landscaping Mistakes That Hurt the Value of Your Home
Anyone who has ever bought or sold a house knows the importance of curb appeal in determining its market value. Realtors know the importance of first impressions which is why they make sure a house is looking its best before showing it to prospective buyers. Several elements go into the curb appeal, but none are as important as landscaping.
Real estate professionals will tell you that a great landscape design can increase the value of a property by 20%. On the other hand, bad landscaping can reduce the value. Even if you are not selling your house, the first impression that the landscape design creates will affect people’s perceptions about the interiors of the house and its occupants.
How a landscape is designed depends on the artistic sensibilities of the homeowner and the creative skills of the landscape designer, but some landscaping mistakes can have a significant impact on the selling price of the house and on the impression people get of the occupants.
- Creating a landscape in bits and pieces will result in a disjointed design and the landscape will have no continuity; this will hurt the market value.
- Landscaping is not a “fit and forget” project. Maintenance is required to keep it at its best and if that is not done,the negative impact will become apparent immediately.
- Potential drainage and storm water problems are not only things a savvy buyer will look into but these could be the cause of major issues for you when you are living in the house.
- Trees are always nice because of the beauty and shade they offer. But too many of them will make an open area claustrophobic and dark.
- Damaged or unkempt patios are both ugly to look at and a potential source of accidents and injuries.
- Water features like koi ponds can enhance the appeal of a landscape, but they require a great deal of maintenance to look their best.
- Unplanned irrigation can leave some areas of the yard dry and arid and other areas soggy and muddy. Neither the occupants nor the buyers will want to spend time there.
- Lighting is a key factor in landscaping. The lighting, to be effective, must be an integral part of the design.
These are just a few of the landscaping mistakes that can affect the curb appeal of a house.
Your home should have the landscape design you want. Only a professional landscape designer will be able to take your concepts and turn them into the reality that will give your home the look and feel you desire. Trying to do the design yourself will never produce the same results because there is so much technical knowledge that goes into the design – the type of soil, the climate, the need for irrigation, the maintenance requirements, etc. all have to be considered.
Overlooking or not having the skills to deal with any of the many factors that are required for the right landscape will leave the exterior of the home looking a lot less appealing. If you are planning on selling your home, asking a landscape designer to improve the look of the exterior is essential. If you are not planning on selling, great landscaping will make the home a very pleasant place to live in. DIY efforts will never produce the same results as a landscaping expert.
- Nov 27, 2020