Daylighting Pros and Cons
Nothing in this world is perfect and that applies to daylighting systems. So much is being written about the many benefits of installing them that people at times wonder which is hype and which is a fact. Even if there are so many pros in installing tubular skylights, there must also be some cons, correct? That is true, but the pros so outweigh the cons that installing a daylighting system in your home is a no-brainer. Here are the facts of the matter.
- The health benefits of increased exposure to sunlight are well-known.
- Natural light also enhances the look and aura of a home during the day. The use of artificial light during the day could negatively affect the appeal of the home.
- A daylighting device will reduce the need for the use of electric lighting thereby bringing down electricity bills.
- Installation is quick and clean and does not require any structural modifications.
- A daylighting system is environmentally friendly so it reduces a home’s carbon footprint.
- A federal tax rebate is available on the installation of a tubular skylight, which makes it a very cost-effective option.
Also Read: You Need the Right Lighting When Working from Home
- The slope of the roof and the angle at which the sunlight hits it could cause a loss of efficiency if the installation is not done the right way. Expert professional installation will ensure that this does not happen.
- In very cloudy weather, when there is insufficient sunlight available, there could be a need for electric light backup. Modern top-end daylighting systems have an electric light add-on kit to cover such contingencies.
- Controlling the amount of light entering a room is not easy. The best tubular skylights have an optional daylight dimmer to prevent the room from becoming too bright.
- There could be seepage problems in very wet weather. An expert installation will ensure that this does not happen.
- The light fixtures may not suit the design style of the home. Installing a leading daylighting system brand means that there will be a wide range of lighting fixtures available so finding the right ones will not be a problem.
Yes, there appear to be a few negatives in buying a daylighting system, but these are easily overcome if the system is purchased from the leading manufacturer of daylighting systems and the installation is done by the company’s dealer. This will ensure that even the few minor negatives that may arise with lower quality systems and installation are taken off the table and only a high-tech daylighting system, with lighting control, electric light backup, a range of design styles to suit any décor and protection against seepage and condensation along with expert installation is installed in your home. You can even ask for a free daylighting consultation to have all your questions answered. Once you have all the information about daylighting systems making the right decision, based on facts, and not hype is easy.
Become a Member to post Articles
Back to Profile