6 Reasons Why Your Home Should Have a Tubular Skylight
Natural light is good for you – that is an established scientific fact. Your home looks better with it, it's good for your health, better for the environment, and helps to bring down your utility bill. Bringing in additional sunlight is always a good idea. But how do you go about it? Putting in another window may affect the look of the house. If another window is possible, it may involve major structural modifications. And for interior spaces in the home, the window option will not even be viable.
Look up for the Light
If you cannot bring in more light through the walls, the alternative is to look up. Till recently, the only way to allow light to enter a room through the roof was to install a traditional skylight. Cutting the roof to put one in is not easy – structural damage is always a concern. After the skylight is in place, you must worry about leakage and moisture entry. And there is no way of controlling the amount of light that comes in, and it could make the room uncomfortably bright and warm on some days. Fortunately, there is now an alternative to the fixed glass skylight. It is called a daylighting system or tubular daylighting device (TDD). A TDD has a roof-mounted sunlight collector and uses special high reflectivity tubes to carry the light through walls to the part of the house where it is required, even if it is in the interior.
You Need a TDD Because…
- The economic benefits are significant. No electricity is used, so there are no running costs – your utility bill will keep reminding you of your savings. The installation cost is much lesser than a traditional skylight – no structural modification is needed. The installation is done in just a few hours, so there is minimal domestic disruption and no hidden costs. Heat gain and loss are minimized, so heating and cooling will also be saved.
- The health benefits are numerous. Natural light has a positive psychological effect, and research shows that in naturally lit surroundings, people are more positive and creative, and their ability to focus and concentrate improves. Sunlight is also a major source of vitamin D, vital for good health, and it is also nature's disinfectant and helps to make the area illuminates healthier.
- The planet will thank you. Lowering your electricity consumption and heating and cooling requirements will reduce your home's carbon footprint, which is always a good thing in these times of climate catastrophe.
- Your home will look better. Natural light brings out the true colors of furnishings and décor. Additionally, when you turn on the artificial lighting, the room's aura will undergo a subtle change so that you will have one room with 2 attractive moods.
- You can control the amount of light that comes in through the TDD, which means the room will not be too bright or too dark. You can modify the amount of lighting that you want for different occasions or times of the day.
- The use of elegant ceiling-mounted fixtures diffuses the light from a TDD. So, there will be no negative impact on the interior décor.
Also Read: Benefits of Natural Lighting
Of course, the quality of the TDD and the additional features available will depend on the manufacturer. If you go with the market leader, you can ensure the best quality, installation, features, and economy. All you have to do is contact a dealer and ask for a free daylight consultation.
Become a Member to post Articles
Back to Profile