Tips to prevent falls in the elderly
Aging comes with physical changes in our body like poor eyesight and hearing, and this can affect the balance and strength of our body. In people over the age of 65, falls are the most common causes of accidents. Falls are dangerous in common; it might cause serious injuries or even death in older people.
Causes of fall
Reduced sensation in the legs due to long-time diabetes
Brain-related problems like Parkinson’s disease
Any previous ailments in the feet like accidents and such
Prevention of Falls
Falls can greatly affect the ability of the injured person and also the daily life of their family members. While the medical causes are hard to address, you can prevent falls that happen due to lethargy or carelessness. If you have an older person in your home, there are few changes you can make which can help prevention of the falls to a good degree.
- Most falls happen in the bathroom because of the slippery surface.
- Installation of handles in the support points can help maintain balance while standing up or moving around.
- Sitting and standing from the bed is another point where falls frequently happen.
- The lower the height of the bed higher is the fall rate. It is ideal to maintain the height at the knee level or slightly higher and also keep the bed firm.
- While standing up from the bed, have a support to maintain the balance like holding the end handles of the bed or have a walking stick.
- As for falling from chairs, standing with the support of the handles or a walker is important to prevent falls.
- There are different styles in the supports, and if you notice shivering of hands or legs, it is best to get a walking support of your need.
- Avoid since it can affect balance easily. Floors should be maintained to be non-slippery.
Also Read: How to avoid falls when wearing a face mask?
If complications arise because of a fall, you can consult the experts using the orthopaedic surgeons near me option and get the problem immediately treated.
Best Orthopedician in Chennai | Best Orthopedician in Hosur | Best Orthopedician in Salem | Best Orthopedician in Trichy
Become a Member to post Articles
Back to Profile